Sunday, January 14, 2018

God in the Dark


by Sarah Van Diest @SarahVanDiest

I never intended to write a book.

That wasn't my goal.

My goal was rather small and simple, intimate and private. A friend was in pain and there was nothing I could do to stop the hurt, but I could pray and I could write. So I did.

Every day for 22 days I sent a fragment of Psalm 119 as a letter, adding my own thoughts as I felt inspired. Every day asking God to give me something hope-filled to say. I knew I couldn't fix the circumstances, but I could love from a distance.

That's what this book is. It's those 22 letters, and a few others, as well. Both my husband and the recipient of the letters encouraged me to seek publication. I didn't understand why. The letters had done their job. They had accomplished their purpose. What more could they do?

I had no idea.

I do not pretend to understand what God is doing here, and though many who will read this book are not in my personal circle of loved one, my hopes are the same as they were when I first wrote the words. I hope those who read these words find comfort from pain and sorrow. And mostly, that this truth is revealed and embraced: we are never alone. 

Our Father is ever present. When we believe he has left us or is far away, then our distress is clouding our vision, darkening our view, and confusing our understanding. The truth is something different, and something wonderful.

There have already been amazing responses to the book. Bruce Wilkinson, author or Prayer of Jabez, read and endorsed the book (see front cover). We have other outstanding endorsers, as well: Dr. Tim Jennings, author of The God Shaped Brain; Thelma Wells, former Women of Faith speaker and writer; Tosca Lee, best-selling Christian fiction author; Mary DeMuth, author of Jesus Every Day, and many others. I am truly honored.

Though the book isn't even out yet, it has gotten into the hands of missionaries in places my feet have never been, like Africa, where the words brought encouragement in the midst of truly dark circumstances. I am amazed and so very thankful.

God in the Dark: 31 Devotions to Let the Light Back In comes out on April 3rd. If you would like to be a part of my launch team, please apply here. If you are selected, as space is limited, you will receive an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) and we will join together online for the month of March to read through the book together, to pray, and to encourage one another. 

There is joy to be found in the dark. Do not be afraid to look deeply. Our Father is there and He is faithful.

Learn more about God in the Dark here.


TWEETABLES


Educated as a teacher, Sarah taught school for nearly 20 years. As a young woman, she lived in China amid the rice paddies and water buffalo near Changsha, and then later taught English in Costa Rica for four years and raised her two sons. 

Sarah is married for the second time, the mother of 2 boys and the step-mother to 3 more. She and her husband, David, work together in their agency The Van Diest Literary Agency. Her full name is Sarah Ruth Gerke Van Diest. She’s 5’5” and cuts her hair when stress overtakes her. 

She is a freelance editor (including a New York Times and USA Today bestseller), blogger (The Write Conversation) and writer for hire. Her first book releases with NavPress in 2018. 

8 comments:

  1. Sarah, God is so good to use the compassion He gives us for others to bless many. I look forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherrilynn! I love how you put that!!! Thank you so much!
      Blessings and hope!
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Sarah, you have a beautiful way of weaving just the right words together to bring truth and light. I look forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emme! May the Father's truth find its way through all we do!
      Blessings and hope,
      Sarah

      Delete
  3. Still Snoopy Dancing with you ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer!!! That's the best!!! I love it! Thank you, my friend!
      Blessings for a wonderful day ahead!
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. Dear friend, I love how God works. Yay God! I'm sure it's an anointed book. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete