Sunday, September 16, 2012

Weekend Worship—In Step with the Spirit


Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25

The lessons I learned about keeping in step in marching
band, have given me insight into keeping in step with God
When I was in high school I was in marching band. I remember the anticipation I felt before my first summer band camp. Once there, I found out just how hard it is to march in step with a large group of people. It became even more difficult when you added playing a musical instrument to the equation. I have never been overly coordinated and marching in the band pushed the outer limits of my ability. But I kept at it, spending hours each day that week learning to master this skill. It paid off; when school started I was right there on the field with the rest of the band, successful.

The Bible helps me keep going when I feel out of step
Sometimes I fight that out of step feeling with God. Things happen in my life and in the lives of those around me and I want to throw up my hands and wonder what God is thinking. It’s those times when I most appreciate God’s Word. When nothing makes sense I can go to the Bible and read about men and women who faced the same doubts and anxieties. I can see the end to their stories and realize that God has the same blessings in store for me. Because I’ve spent hours reading the Bible (learning to march in step with God) I can keep going, certain that everything will turn out right.

5 comments:

  1. When I was in marching band, I had a hard time playing and marching. Whenever I didn't know the music, I would forget my steps. The only way that it worked was to learn the music that was given to me-that's when I knew where to march.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, that is GREAT insight. Thank you so much for sharing! Blessings, E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I don't know what it's like to be in marching band, I totally get the application. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt out-of-step and you showed me not to trust my feelings but to trust that God is with me as long as I read his word and apply it to my life. Trusting Him "that all will turn out right". Thank you! I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people waist time trying to set the tempo of their own drum oppose to using that energy and effort to be in perfect time with God. I was guilty... Great post!

    ReplyDelete