Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday Review—The Truth About Conference


Guest post by Susan May Warren

Are you ready to attend a writers conference?

The reality is, if you want to be published – and stay published – you need to attend Writer’s Conferences. But you shouldn’t attend unprepared. This is why the mulit-published, award-winning novelists and conference coordinators on the My Book Therapy staff wrote: The Truth about Conferences: the MBT guide to how to have a successful writers conference.

Writers conferences are overwhelming. But when you prepare yourself, they can also change your life.

To celebrate this book – and to give you some tips and tricks – we’re having a Truth about Conferences Webinar on Thursday night, 7pm CST on our MBT Open House channel. To join us, and to get a free excerpt, LIKE our Facebook page (the excerpt and registration link will appear!)

OR, if you want to skip the webinar, and still get a launch discount, sign up HERE. We’ll be announcing the discount code and sending out the link during the webinar and afterwards.

Here’s some things you’ll learn:
  • How to choose a conference
  • Budgeting for a conference
  • How to prepare professionally with business cards and pitch sheets
  • Choosing the right workshops
  • How to handle appointments
  • Organizing your time and information
  • Standing out in a positive way
  • Conference Etiquette
  • How to pack for success
  • And even how to network to after the conference is over!

Be prepared with the truth, the right expectations, and the tools for success. Because knowing the truth about conferences…just might get you published.

Blessings on the journey!
Susie May Warren
Founder, MBT

7 comments:

  1. I'm a conference veteran, and they're great! Fun, informative, invigorating, and contact-making. I'm even speaking at one this fall. BUT, having published in both the CBA and ABA, I do not believe they are a MUST to publish. Every editor or agent relationship I've had began with a query letter. I've yet to be published or agented by someone I met at a conference, and I believe writers should go to conferences with the purpose of learning more about craft, not primarily in hope that it's going to lead directly to publication. There lies disappointment, and the writer may end up devaluing what was actually an excellent conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, I think you're so right, attending a conference primarily to get published sets us up for disappointment. I've never had a contract come from one of the infamous 15-minute appoints.

      That said, even though my 15-minute appointments have proved unfruitful (in terms of publication). Every single thing I've had published has come from a fact-to-face serendipitous meeting at a conference.

      Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  2. I agree with Marcia -- I have 2 goals when I attend:
    1. learn 3 new things (that I put into practice)
    2. make 3 new friends.

    I usually exceed both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, these are both really good goals. I tell people it's fine to DREAM when you attend a conference, but a goal is something you have to be able to help make happen. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping to attend the Blue Ridge Conference next May, and have no idea what to expect. Looking forward to checking out this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I look forward to seeing you there, if you can make it. Thanks for stopping by! Blessings, E

      Delete
  4. Hey Edie and Susan, I totally agree that being prepared for a conference makes such a difference in what you get out of it.

    I was blessed to already know Edie Melson and Vonda Skelton before I went to Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference. So, they helped me prepare for the conference and as a result, I had some articles published directly after meeting editors there.

    Every conference experience will be different, but I have made some great friends through Blue Ridge, with authors, editors, fellow writers and my agent.

    I set out to learn and absorb at my first conference and boy, did I. Even though I've been to conferences and have taught at one, I'm getting this book. There's always more to learn!

    Thanks for sharing Edie and Susan.

    ReplyDelete