Saturday, January 14, 2012

Weekend Worship—Evaluating the Consequences

Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:32-34

Today my son shared something that happened in one of his classes this past week. He’s a sophomore in college and has just recently transferred to a Christian college. He was sitting in his American History class and his instructor came in. She set her briefcase down and turned to face the class. “Before we go any further, let’s go to the Father in prayer.”

My son said he sat stunned for a second then glanced around the room, waiting for someone to object. All he saw were bowed heads and it suddenly hit him that he was now in a Christian college.

This story, to me, illustrates how far America has come from our roots. Not just away from our Christian heritage, but from our freedom to worship as we like. I, for one, needed this powerful reminder as I begin evaluating the candidates in this election year. I think we’ve gone far too long without evaluating the consequences of our choices.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Edie. Thanks for this timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonda couldn't have said it better. I was coming over to post an "Amen" also.

    ReplyDelete