Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weekend Worship - Fruit or Failure

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control… Galatians 5:22-23

Today I had the opportunity to hear about another author's journey to publication. As she shared her story I noticed many similarities to my own. Hers, like mine wasn't a direct route, but a circuitous trip full of bumps and detours. Frequently a writer's path is littered with broken dreams and shattered expectations.

As I listened, I reflected on those instances in my life that I'd always labeled as failures and shortcomings. Now I saw them as opportunities to grow and learn. Those times of waiting had become patience, the frustration had become discipline, and the rejections became joy. All those difficult circumstances had been used by God to teach me things I lacked, as well as giving me compassion for others on similar journeys.

Somewhere along the way, God used the seeds of failure to grow fruit in my life.

5 comments:

  1. "Somewhere along the way, God used the seeds of failure to grow fruit in my life."

    Powerful, wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found waiting draining, and rejection frustrating, but I can't surrender my writing. Just clinging to God and am so grateful His hand-holding is a lot stronger than my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking back and seeing God's hand in all the paths my life has taken! In the midst of trials and set-backs, He was there. I'm glad I took the time to stop and seek Him, rather than trying to move ahead on my own. I can't imagine how much more difficult the lessons would have been if I hadn't. Great devotion, Edie! Such wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie, for the reminder that finding our joy in Him and in His will for us--however unlike our own it is at first--can transform us like nothing else! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post, thanks for sharing. God uses those bad time to work things out in our lives. He is so good.

    Glenda Parker
    http://glendaparkerfictionwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete