Friday, April 23, 2010

Weekend Worship - Choices

Have you ever saved someone’s life? Last week my son did just that. He driving down the interstate and watched the car ahead of him lose control and flip 5 times, coming to rest on its side. My son screeched to a halt and raced to the wrecked car where flames were already visible snaking out from under the hood. My son climbed onto the car and wrenched open the back door and dropped inside. The driver hadn’t been wearing his seatbelt and was slumped in the passenger seat, fading in and out of consciousness. My son somehow got him up and out of the car. As they got about 75 feet away from the car the gas tank exploded and the car was engulfed in flames.

I learned about these events after they happened and found myself voicing the quintessential mom question, “What were you thinking?” As soon as the words passed my lips I had to explain. I wasn’t questioning the fact that he’d done it, I really wanted to know what thoughts went through your mind at such a horrific choice.

“Well Mom, everything seemed so clear at that moment. I had two choices—I could watch him die or I could try to save him. I knew I couldn’t live with myself if I didn’t try to save him.”

I immediately thought how wonderful it would be to have such clarity—such a clear choice. Don’t we all wish that all the choices were that clear cut? But as I meditated on what my son had done, God began to speak to me. He showed me that every time I come in contact with someone who doesn’t know Jesus, I face the same choice as my son. I can offer them life, by sharing who Jesus is, or I can stand by and risk watching them die. Many times I don’t even consciously make the decision. I let my busyness or my daily schedule dictate my decision. I even allow myself the comfort of assuming that someone else will do the job. But where would that young man be if my son hadn’t acted and instead waited on someone else to rescue that driver?

I challenge all of us to act when the opportunity presents itself. I know I’ll never approach another conversation the same way again.

God is to us a God of deliverances and to God the Lord belong escapes from death.
Psalm 68:20

Blessings,
Edie

2 comments:

  1. Edie - this is an amazing story. God has done some amazing things this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You've got one heck of a kid there and must be so proud. Is the driver ok?

    ReplyDelete